Looking for something?

tirsdag den 26. september 2017

Study trip


To mark the beginning of the last year of upper secondary school, our school arranges a study trip to some city abroad. I believe this is to bring the classes even closer together and to indicate that there is only one year left. Or maybe it is to reward us students for lasting two years and motivate us for the last one. I don’t know.
Anyway, for my class the trip went to Rome – the city of love. Rome is such a beautiful city, what with the many ancient buildings and the culture. Italy is my favourite country to spend my vacation in because of the culture and the people. I find them funny and incredibly polite – in contrast to what many others think of them.
I love the city of Rome because of its history. You can walk around the city and everywhere your eyes look, there is a piece of history. It is important that when in Rome you walk – or least ride around on a scooter. You do not want to miss anything. And our teachers certainly made sure of that. We walked 20+ kilometres in average per day – not that I mind. I did however come home with two heels filled with blisters – that I mind.
The weather was so lovely in Rome. We had 25 celsius in average every day, which is a major contrast to the Danish weather. And during our walks, we saw everything there is to see in Rome.
Our first day there, we saw the Trevi-fountain, Pantheon, Altare della Patria, the Colosseum, Forum Romanum and some churches. My feet were so sore after that day, but my head was filled with these amazing buildings and all the history connected to them.
Our second day was spent analysing the newer Rome. We started the day off with a lecture with a Danish journalist. And after that we were sent off in groups to analyse different neighbourhoods. Around 6 pm we all met in front of Santa Maria Maggiore for a Mass in the catholic church. It was very inspiring to see the devotion – I could not understand anything they were saying, but I could read their devotion and it was so beautiful.
On Tuesday, we visited the Danish Embassy in Rome and afterwards we visited Piazza Del Popolo, the Spanish steps, the Mausoleum of Augustus and Castel Sant'Angelo. Across from there, the Vatican begins and of course we visited the small state and the major attraction there -  St. Peter’s Basilica. There we stood in line for 2 hours – gosh my feet hurt! – but once we got through, the experience was unreal. It is so beautiful and unbelievably enticing. I am still amazed. After this experience, me and a couple of my friends took the time to shop for a while and afterwards ate a wonderful dinner.
On our last day, Wednesday, we visited Pompeii and Vesuvius. In Pompeii, we went on a guided tour and it was so amazing to see how they lived once and how certain trades on building can give away, the business run in the building. I loved every minute of the tour. But my very favourite moment of the entire study trip was climbing the Vesuvius. I could stand at the top for days and look out on the horizon. It was so beautiful that I have no words for it. I still cannot believe that I got to experience that and I am forever grateful for it.

It was a very nice study trip and a nice way to start the year. I am so much wiser than before I left and I am so grateful for the opportunity.

1 kommentar:

  1. Hi Mathilde,
    It really sounds like an amazing trip, and the way you write about it, really engages the reader because you elaborate on your own experience of the many places you've seen and learned about - rather than just listing them. You seem to enjoy writing!
    :) Karina

    SvarSlet