Looking for something?

søndag den 13. november 2016

US Presidential Election


In some way I believe that America has failed democracy or is it the other way around? It has been known that Hillary Clinton actually received the highest number of votes but given the American system, first past the post, Donald Trump got the new title ‘president’. Democracy is about hearing the majority of the people in some way. But with this election, as with the one in 2000, the majority of the American people’s votes were in some way in vain, because even though the majority of the American population, who are registered voters, actually voted against Donald Trump, there were more than 270 electors who voted for him, hereby granting him the presidential seat.
Now as to if the right candidate won, I think that is a tough question. Hillary Clinton is part of the elite and part of a lot of the same politics that have ruled America for the last 8 years, whereas Donald Trump is a new-bee. From my point of view I saw this election as a choice between the lesser of two evils. They were both highly unpopular candidates and politically maybe Hillary Clinton more so.
Generally, this election has been plagued by personal assaults and scandals – Hillary Clinton and her e-mails, Donald Trump and his tax payment or lack thereof, Bill Clinton and sexual harassment and so on and so on. There has been nothing substantial at all, which is why I was and am very uncertain as to who the right president is.
Now I know Donald Trump got elected and the world is falling to pieces, but is it really that bad? Right after the election of Donald Trump both the dollar and pound sterling currency fell, but later the same day both increased massively. People forget this fact. They also forget the fact that even though the Republicans have majority in both the House and Senate, many Republicans do not support Donald Trump. Meaning that a lot of the policies Donald Trump wants to make law are likeable to not happen, because said Republicans do not support him and because the Senate will only grant permission for sensible laws. But people forget this.
In all honesty, as a high school student from Denmark, I’m not sure how bad this election is going to be for the world. Many will probably be offended by this and disagree, but as everyone else I have a right to have this opinion. I am not saying that I am a huge Donald Trump-fan, but I am definitely not a huge Hillary Clinton-fan either. If I had to choose between the two I think in some way, shape or form Donald Trump is going to accomplish something and more than Hillary Clinton could and I think he pursued this election and this presidential seat because he wants to make a difference in a country and world that is falling apart. He wants what everyone else wants and thinks. There is just a small difference – he is not afraid to say it out in the open. And I admire that.

1 kommentar:

  1. Hey Mattie,

    I think you're right, that this election needs some perspective. First of all we need to keep in mind that even though the Republicans hold Congress, many Republican politicians disagree with Trump's politics, and that Trump doesn't hold absolute power as president. Second of all, I think people voted for him because they were fed up with political correctness, and that it's important to keep in mind that he was elected because most people agreed with him. Even though you might disagree with him, I think we need to protect our democracies and our democratic institutions.

    Cheers,
    Helle.

    SvarSlet